As the Nigerian military continues its fight against the Boko Haram insurgents in pursuit of it December deadline given by President Muhammadu Buhari to wipe out the Islamic jihadists, a suicide bombers has killed five, leavening many other injured in Yobe State, Northeastern Nigeria.
The bomber, a teenage female suicide attacker, early Tuesday, attacked a bus station in Damaturu, capital of Yobe State.
About 25 others were injured in the attack carried out by the suicide bomber at the Central Motor park in the city, according to Abdullahi Bego, a spokesman of the Yobe State government, who confirmed the incident to a news agency, Xinhua.
The National Emergency Management Agency, Nigeria’s official rescue agency, said the injured victims are being treated at the state-run Damaturu Specialist Hospital.
TheStreetReporters.com reports that the hospital has also confirmed the casualty figures.
A witness identified as Aminu Usman said the suicide bomber, obviously not more than 14 years old, first attempted to gain entry to the bus motor park but was prevented by local vigilante security personnel at the gate.
The female bomber then targeted a Volkswagen Golf car coming out of the terminus at about 8:15 a.m. local time on Tuesday, and detonated the explosives that rocked the area.
“As soon as the car approached the gate, the girl moved toward it and detonated her explosive devices,” Usman said.
The bomber’s body was among those recovered from the scene of the blast but her head was seen severed from her body, another witness identified as Sunday Ekpo, said.
The attack occurred barely 24 hours after Ban Ki-Moon, the United Nations secretary-general, on a two-day official visit to Nigeria, called for an end to the attacks by Boko Haram, a terror group which also claimed responsibility for the abduction of more than 200 school girls in the northeastern state of Borno last year.
Ban also called for the unconditional release of the abducted girls during a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari before the departing the West African country on Monday night.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attack but the nature of the incident was typical of the Boko Haram group.
Buhari had more than a week ago ordered his newly-appointed army chiefs to end the six-year Boko Haram terrorism within three months.